MASTER DEGREE: Master in audiovisual arts (Brussels/LUCA)
SPECIALISATION: film direction documentary.
POSTGRADUATE MASTERS DEGREE: ‘Social inclusion through access to the media industries–
programme’ (Manchester Metropolitan University)
POSTGRADUATE MASTERS DEGREE: pedagogical degree / MA audiovisual arts (Ghent/Sint Lucas.)
MADE IN ITALY (2004)
TWO HANDS (2005)
PERSONA NON GRATA (2008)
NINOS DE LA GUERRA (2008)
TERUG NAAR IRAN (2009)
THE MISSING LINK (2011)
RED STAR LINE (2013)
TELEVISION STATIONS BROADCASTING AND COPRODUCING THE ABOVE MENTIONED FILMS
France 2 • CBC (Canada) • ARTE • SVT Swedish Public Television • PTS Public Television (Taiwan) • YES tv (Israel) • TV3 (Spain) • TELESUR (Latin-America) • Vive tv (Venezuela) • EXQI Culture (Alfacam / Belgium) • RTSI (Switzerland) • Ceska Televize (Czech Republic) • RTBF (Belgium) • VRT (Belgium) • PBS (US) • Histoire (France) • DR (Denmark) • YLE (Finland)
• REGARDS NEUFS Award / Film Festival Visions Du Réel (Switzerland)
• Prix du Public - Meilleur Premier film Européen / Film Festival PARIS TOUT COURT (France)
• BEST DOCUMENTARY Award / Golden Horse Film Festival (Taiwan)
• Best Documentary Director / International Documentary Film Festival of Uruguay
• BEST DOCUMENTARY Award / International Independent Film Festival Vienna (Austria)
• TELEVISION Award / AVANCA Film Festival (Portugal)
• BEST INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTARY Award / DOCUDAYS Film Festival (Libanon)
• Une étoile de la SCAM* feature documentary category (Paris/France)
• BIOGRAFILM award / Bologna International Film Festival (Italy)
• PTS festival achievements award (Taipei/Taiwan)
• Special Mention / Ismailia International Festival for Documentary 2009 (Egypt)
• Best Human Rights Film / Flanders Latin American Film Festival
• Best Editor / ATLANTIDOC Film Festival (Uruguay)
• BEST DOCUMENTARY Award / Leuven Kort Film Festival (Belgium)
• Upcoming talent award / Int. Film Festival for Social Films (Antwerp/Belgium)
• Special Mention / Mostra Internazionale del Cortometraggio (Montecatini/Italy)
• VOCATIO Award / Vocatio Foundation (Belgium)
• Médaille de vermeil / Académie Européenne Des Arts (Belgium)
• BEST SHORT DOCUMENTARY Award / Festival International du Film Aubagne (France)
• Special Mention / San Francisco Short Film Festival (US)
• BEST DOCUMENTARY Award / Barcelona Short Film Festival (Spain)
• BEST DIRECTION Award / Festival du cinéma de Bruxelles (Belgium)
• BEST DOCUMENTARY Award / Trento International Film Festival (Italy)
• Une étoile de la SCAM* short documentary category (Paris/France)
• Premio Nazionale Culturale Torre di Castruccio (Toscany/Italy)
• Leonardo Da Vinci award (EU-projects)
• BEST DOCUMENTARY Award / International Film Festival ‘La Noche de los Cortos’ (Peru)
10 IMPORTANT FESTIVAL SELECTIONS
(out of the complete list of 103 official selections)
• IDFA (The Netherlands) / 2de place audience award 2008
• CANNES International Film Festival (France)
• SILVERDOCS Film Festival (US)
• Canadian World Wide Short Film Festival ( Toronto /Canada)
• International Film Festival Guadalajara (Mexico)
• Full Frame Documentary Film Festival (US / chairman: Martin Scorsese)
• Festival du Nouveau Cinema de Montréal (Canada)
• Take One Action Film Festival (Scotland / chairman: Ken Loach)
• New York City Short Film Festival (US)
• VENICE International Short Film Festival (Italy)
COMPANIES & INSTITUTIONS COLLABORATION IN THE ABOVE MENTIONED FILM PROJECTS
• VAF Flemish Film and TV Fund
• Amnesty International
• Flanders Image
• deBuren (Cultural organisation from the Netherlands and Flanders)
• ROOFTOP FILM FUND New York
• Ministery of culture Flanders Ministry
• Ministry of culture Venezuela
• City council of Caracas Venezuela
• City council of Ghent Belgium
• City council of Carrara Italy
• De brakke grond (cultural house of Flanders in the Netherlands)
• Flanders House (New York)
• Fund Pascal Decroos (Belgian fund for investigative journalism)
• Leonardo Da Vinci programme EU
WORKSHOPS & MASTERCLASSES
• ‘The narrative tradition in documentaries’ KASK filmschool / Ghent 2006
• ‘Developing the point of view of a personal documentary’ Taiwanese International Documentary Film Festival / Taiwan 2006
• ‘The storyboard: Drawing documentary frames’ Sint-Lucas / Antwerp 2006
• ‘Auschwitz image/memory’ / Ursulinen Mechelen 2007
• ‘Journalist or filmmaker?’ Mediaweek / Ghent 2009
• ‘Independent film making’ Universidad Guadalajara / Mexico 2009
• ‘PERSONA NON GRATA’ Latin American studies / New York University 2009
Since 2011 Fabio Wuytack teaches at the film academy RITCS in Brussels.
WORK AS A SCULPTOR
In 1999 the European Union granted Fabio Wuytack with a scholarship to develop an artistic project in Italy. He went to Carrara to design his own sculptures in marble. For a period of 6 months he worked in the ‘Laboratorio de Nicoli’, the workshop where Cezar, Vangi and Cardenas created their sculptures. He is also in the habit of going to Barcelona for a period of time each year, to design bronze sculptures.
‘La Medaille d’or’ / 26th international exhibit of the Académie Européenne des Arts
‘Silver medal’ / SPECTRAAL-jury in Ghent
‘First prize’ / international Symposium of Bas-Normandie
FILM RELATED AND STUDY EXPERIENCES
Considering his interest and experience in the world of the arts, the International Art Consultants LTD gallery in London asked Fabio Wuytack to make a film for them. The film had to be an impression of the collection of modern works of art brought together in the new headquarters of Glaxo Smith Kline in London. This documentary was broadcast in Great-Britain by TV/Williams. In 2003 this film was presented in Cannes, at the occasion of the International Architectural Conference.
In 2000 Fabio wrote a film review for the millennium-contest of the organization CJP. Fabio’s analysis of the Cuban film ‘El elefante y la bicicleta’ was awarded by the jury with the prize of ‘best film-review’.
Anno 2000 Fabio Wuytack directed a 25-minute short film with a close group of friends in Catalunia. This film premiered in Vooruit Ghent, on the occasion of a provincial cultural project.
During his studies at Sint-Lukas Film Academy he realized various short films. In May 2001 he started his graduation-project for the first Bachelors year: a short fictional film of 5 minutes, entitled CELESTE. This film received an AVS Award in 2002.
In August 2001, Fabio Wuytack filmed the performance of JAZZNO TRAUMA in Diepenheim , a performance by the composer/musician Frans Joseph Goof.
In December 2001 Fabio Wuytack was asked to make a film, on the occasion of the dancing-project ‘9x9’. This European Union dancing-project for young people took place in the museum for contemporary art SMAK (Ghent).
In 2002 Fabio Wuytack made a portrait film entitled ‘André Rouler’. The film shows the urban odyssey of an 83-year old Belgian through the African districts of Brussels.
In April 2002 Fabio left for Barcelona to shoot another documentary. This time his documentary storytelling is settled in an impoverished bronze foundry in the industrial area San Adrian de Besos.
Near the end of 2002, Fabio made the autobiographical documentary DYLSEXY. The film, in which he tells of his own struggle with dyslexia, was received very positively on account of the playful undertone full of self-mockery and zany editing. This film was also broadcast at the Inter-academic Colloquium 2004 in Flanders.
In January 2003 music magazine RIFRAF asked Fabio Wuytack to make a visual statement to broadcast on TMF, on the day the UN-Commission had to approve the American war in Iraq. He worked out a fake breaking news-item, in which Bush and Saddam fraternally sang a duet for world peace. It was broadcast 29 times on the channel, the visualization reminding heavily of the typical Monty-Pythonesque technique of animation, which elevated the satire to make it even more hallucinogenic.